Tuesday, February 21, 2006

More progress

I thought I should update my progress on this quilt. I finished the last three rows last night, so the top is almost complete. I had to stop when I got to this point because my neck and shoulders were starting to bother me after three days at my sewing machine. I need to learn to relax my shoulders when I'm sewing! If you click on the picture, you'll see it larger. Now I need some suggestions on the quilting. I'm pretty settled on the quilting designs I'm going to use, but I'm not sure about what thread to use. These colors are so beautiful, and I don't want to mess that up by my choice of quilting thread. I don't really want to use monofiliment thread, but any color thread I use (even varigated) will tend to stand out on this. I have some sample sandwiches that I can try out different threads on, so if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

11 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Blogger  Jeanne said...

Beautiful quilt, Marilyn! I like your brighter colors better than the McCalls. Maybe hot pink thread?

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Patti said...

Are you sure the varigated thread will stand out too much? I've been amazed how well it's blended on the quilts I've used it on. Try unrolling a couple lengths and laying them across the quilt. I bet you can find a varigated thread that looks good and doesn't stand out too much. There are so many to choose from these days. This quilt just sings of happiness and laughter!

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

GORGEOUS...love the BRIGHTS!!! This quilt makes me smile!
Hugs
Laurie

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

I agree with Jeanne - something bright pink - maybe even a variegated pink.

What have you decided to quilt on it?

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Judy L. said...

I'll be the oddball . . I'd use a pale aqua. I don't think that thread will stand out too badly on any of the fabric.

I love it! Such a happy quilt!

Judy L.

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Angie will love this quilt - it is such a bright and cheerful quilt that is sure to help her out as she battles leukemia. Are her schoolmates going to sign their names on the white bars? It would be easier for them to sign if you ironed strips of freezer paper to the back of the white fabric to give it stability.

Anyway, I love it! That sure is a TON of half square triangles to sew, but the result is well worth the effort.

Cheers!

Evelyn

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Pam said...

beautiful! All these bright quilts are fighting my natural love of pastels...they are beautiful!

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger The Calico Cat said...

No thread suggestionds, but the top is beautiful!

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Marilyn said...

Linda,
The pattern Jan used is in a back issue of American Patchwork & Quilting. I'll have to find out which one, but I'll let you know.

Marilyn

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Samantha said...

that quilt is SO mich fun!

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger ForestJane said...

Wow, I love it!

I'd be tempted to do some quick hand-quilted shapes in the blocks that have a more solid appearance. Maybe a simple outline butterfly on that bright yellow block... a dolphin or fish on the aqua/blue blocks, a flower on a pink block, a cat face on the gold-tiger block... then use a varigated thread on your hsts.

But I'm sure it'll be lovely no matter what you choose to do!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home